9.6.05

Sew Long

It's been a while. I'm sorry to say very little knitting has been done. My current focus is sewing. The knitting basket is still filled with socks and Kiri (designed by Polly of All Tangled Up). Kiri is the shawl you want to make if you don't want to tackle Birch, which has 200 some cast on stitches and you decrease to the tip. Kiri is the opposite, and very similar to Flower Basket Shawl. I'm using Elann's Peruvian Baby Silk same as I did for the FBS.

What I've been focusing on is my sewing stash. Trying to reduce that stack is not as easy as it sounds. I keep having to go to the fabric store to buy notions and what not and leave with more fabric. It's a losing battle. Also, I've been reading this blog, and am in awe of the craftsmanship involved. I've learned a lot about bespoke tailoring, high end hand made clothes, and find the whole business fascinating. His writing is terrific and he talks about the business and craft in a very clear and precise manner. Some of the writing is like a class lecture-- only it is the kind of class that you enjoy. Not that I can afford anything he makes, yes, he does custom suits for women as well. One entry talks about the importance of hand made clothes and the craft that goes into making an item whether on Saville Row or in Chinatown (and I interpreted to the novice as well) ; makes me proud that I can sew. Hand made lends a touch of humanity, you put a little bit of yourself in each piece you make, somewhere someone is carrying a bit of you around each time they wear your clothes. That just sounds so nice. Same can be said for knitting, of course.

Skirt-a-rama.


'Tis the season of the circle skirts. (McCall's M4783)


I also like the pleated skirts out this season and had to have one for myself. The fabric has dainty basting stitches.(Simplicity 4703)


Remember this baby from two summers ago?


Well, here's the 2005 version. (Butterick 3385)


I'm really proud of the top stitch on the neck and armhole binding. The pattern called for slip stitching, and I hate to hand sew, so I'm glad to have bought one of these it makes for easy machine top stitching.

I also make a couple pairs of capris but they did not turn out as I had planned. Major alterations is needed.

TTFN.

No comments: