18.5.04

Why? Why not?

Atkins dieters look away! This is your worst nightmare. I attempted to make pie, and not just any old pie but Mock Apple Pie. Yes, why use the real stuff when you can pretend it's the real stuff. I read one of Jeffrey Steingarten's books and was fascinated with his description of Mock Apple Pie. No apples just lots of carbs and LOTS of carbs. Apparently it is adapted from a very old recipe dating back to the Civil War when dry goods were more readily available than perishables like apples. It's quite simple really. All you need is pie crust, sugar, water, Ritz crackers, lemon juice, lemon rind, cinnamon, and lots of butter. They used soda crackers and vinegar back then. Make a syrup with sugar and water pour over the crackers and bake. Does it taste like Ma's apple pie? Well...Jeffrey Steingarten proclaimed it to taste amazingly like the real thing. Mine tasted like apple-lemon pie. Good? Different...but pretty good with vanilla ice cream. I put in lemon zest when it called for lemon rind, I think there is a difference, just not at the time. Also, I must have used too much syrup. The directions said to pour syrup over crackers but didn't specify how much of the liquid there is remaining after left to boil for 15 minutes. Like he said why would you want to make this if not just for the sheer miracle of it?

And we're on to something else...

Here's the skirt I finished hemming last night. It looks better on the dress dummy. Quite fun to sew, but a bitch to hem because of the godets. It makes the hem dip unevenly so I had to trim it freehand. I don't think I will be making this again.

Hilltop Knit had a sale today. I guess it was one day only. I headed over at lunch and didn't find anything! It was still expensive with the sale discount. Bleh.

No comments: